Welcome to our web page where we are going to discuss How to play SWF Files. While some of you may wonder why an entire web page is dedicated to opening a file, the majority of users who deal with SWF files on a daily basis know how annoying it can be.
The issue is, no current browsers or computers have built-in SWF players which makes it difficult to open SWF Files.
So, for the newbies on this page, we have a quick introduction for you. For the rest of you who want to get to the topic, skip right down to our How to Play SWF Files section!
What is SWF?
SWF which stands for Small Web Format is a file extension created by Macromedia and now owned by Adobe. It pronounced as “Swiff” and also known as ShockWave Format.
SWF files can contain. You can store videos and vector-based animations and sounds on SWF files. These files can be viewed in a web browser that has Flash plugin installed.
In fact, they were designed for efficient delivery over the web.
How to play SWF Files?
SWF files are mostly played from within a web browser that supports the Adobe Flash Player plugin.
With Adobe Flash Player installed, any web browser such as Firefox, Edge, or Internet Explorer will be able to open SWF files automatically.
If you have a local SWF file saved on your computer, you could just drag and drop it into a browser window to play it.
Please note that although Google Chrome will not automatically load Flash components, you can explicitly allow Flash on certain websites so that they will load properly.
Great news, guys! You can also use SWF files on the Sony PlayStation Portable (provided the firmware is 2.71 onward), Nintendo Wii, and PlayStation 3 and newer.
This works just like a desktop browser, by playing the SWF file upon loading it from a website.
Remember that Adobe Flash Player does not let you open the SWF file through any kind of File menu or by double-clicking the file on your computer.
To open your SWF File, you will need a different program. However, please know that while some SWF files are interactive games, others might be non-interactive advertisements or tutorials. Not every SWF file is supported in all SWF players.
Moreover, SWF File Player can play SWF games for free! Just go to File > Open to select the SWF file from your computer.
Here is one of the easiest ways to play SWF Files if you are using a Windows system.
- Go to swffileplayer.com. This player lets you watch SWF videos, as well as play some SWF games. On the left side of the web page, you will see Download Now in green. Click on it. The file might take a few minutes to download. If you want to force start the download, you can hit the Click Here link.
- Next, you will need to Install SWF File Player. Double-click the SWF File Player setup icon in your computer’s downloads location, then follow instructions that you see on screen. SWF File Player will open once you complete this step. In case, the SWF File Player doesn’t open, double-click the File Player icon to open it.
- Click on File that you will see on the top-left corner of the SWF File Player window. A drop-down menu will then appear. At the top of this menu, you should see the Open option. Click on it. A File Explorer window will open.
- Select the location you want to save your file at. Click the folder in which your SWF file is saved. This folder is probably on the left side of the File Explorer window. Then, select your SWF file and open it. You will find the option to open in the bottom-right corner of the File Explorer window.
- Then, look for the Play option at the bottom of the window below the list of the SWF’s attributes. Click on it. This will prompt the SWF file to start playing. If a game starts playing, you will be able to play it as though it were embedded in a webpage.
If you are a using a Mac, here is how to play SWF files:
- First, you need to open the Elmedia Player download site.
- Elmedia Player is being used here as it allows you to play several different video types, including SWF files.
- At the top of the page, you will find a Download Now in green. Click it to start the Elmedia Player download process. The download should start automatically in a few seconds. If it doesn’t, click the restart the download link to force it to download.
- You will need to Install the software. Double-click the Elmedia Player DMG file, then follow the instructions on the screen. You might have to verify the download before you can install Elmedia Player.
- After the installation is complete, you will have to open Elmedia Player. For this, Click Spotlight and type in Elmedia Player, and click the top result. On the top left corner of the screen, you will find File’that you need to click. A drop-down menu will then appear.
- Click Open. You will find this option near the top of the File drop-down menu. A Finder window will then open. Click your SWF file and open it. This should open the file in Elmedia Player. If the file you opened contains a video, it will start playing automatically. Please note that if this SWF file is not a video, it will not play on your Mac.
- There is another SWF file opener for macOS called SWF & FLV Player. If none of these external software work for you. You could use Adobe Reader 9 or newer as SWF files can also embeds in PDF files and opened by Adobe Reader.
- Numerous ways of opening your SWF file has been discussed on this web page. If for some reason, you were still unable to open the file, we suggest you convert your SWF File into a format that is easily readable by common file players. Files formats like these include MP4, MOV, HTML5, and AVI, MP3.
SWF File Converter
Here are few applications you could use to convert your SWF File:
FileZigZag reads and converts many file formats such as a document, image, audio, video, and archive formats.
File conversions with FileZigZag are complete in three easy steps. Moreover, the download links are valid for three full days!
This is a free video editing app that use to convert between video formats, rip video DVDs, create photo slideshows and music visualizations.
Upload your files on to Freemake Video Converter to convert your SWF file.
SWF Converter specially design for Windows users to convert vivid flash SWF video files to other widespread video formats for further use, such as playback on various portable devices like iPad, iPod, iPhone, PSP, Pocket PC, Creative Zen, Archos, etc.
Hope this webpage answered all your queries regarding How to play SWF Files. More than one method of opening your SWF file has been stated.
Depending on your operating system and its version, one of the many methods stated should work for you.
However, the steps don’t help you open your SWF File, and we have also added a section about applications that you could use to convert your SWF file. Hope it helps!